
He turned 44 yesterday. He insists that he has another 364 days until he can be considered in his mid-40s. I asked if that meant since he's still in his early 40s now & mid-40s don't start until he's 45, if late 40s begin the day he turns 46. The very quick answer would be "No, late 40s do not start at 46." Good for me to remember in case he decides to give me grief in ten years when I hit 44 or 46. I like that he gets to feel out each year ahead of me so I know what to expect. ;)
This is the second year in a row where Todd was gone for the weekend of his birthday. Gone doing what he loves most, only second to his family. TENNIS. And not just TENNIS, but TENNIS at the STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS TENNIS! Todd won the tennis games he played and his team did well overall. Todd drove home Sunday afternoon, napped and chilled. He had his birthday off yesterday and spent a very relaxing day on the couch surfing the web & sneaking in a late afternoon nap. We went out to Five Guys Burgers for lunch, which was nice. For dinner, we had Papa John's pizza and then Ghiradelli brownies with hot fudge and vanilla ice cream....all at his birthday request. The brownies were fresh out of the oven, so some of the candles were falling over before we sang. After getting the kids to bed, we watched the two hour season finale of 24. I'm not sure if Todd felt his day could get any better. Perhaps if tennis was being played in there at some point. Maybe. But he may be all tennis-d out after playing so much in preparation for the state championships.

Birthdays always make me take a step back and appreciate others a little more. For Todd's, I realized that I have celebrated his birthday for the last ten years. I have seen him start off in the world of telecom barely knowing how to operate a computer or send an email to being able to talk in-depth about the latest technologies of how data and video can be sent at the speed of light from one side of the country to the other. He has moved up from a lowly billing specialist (an entry level position at Sprint) to a Service Director and now a Sales Engineer at Level 3 Communications in this past decade. Todd became a husband, then a homeowner, two years later a father and a father to two kids two years after the first. After close to a twenty year hiatus from tennis, he picked up the sport again and quickly regained his passion for being on the court & getting in better shape.
Todd is kind and compassionate. He is fair (both on the tennis courts and in his personal life) and a good sportsman. He is respectful of others' opinions & beliefs. When Owen was first born, Todd worried non-stop that he wouldn't be a good father, that he didn't know what to do or even how to hold Owen. By the time Chloe was born, it was old hat. He held her with one arm and no worries. He can take my kids from their grumpiest and stubborn mood to fits of giggles in milliseconds with just a few words and shaking his body.

Todd and I are very like-minded. We share the same parenting, political, spiritual and interior decorating ideas. We don't argue (I could probably count on one hand the number of fights we have had since we met in 1998). He has been endlessly supportive of my career choices and hobbies. His trust in me that I would not burn the house down and kill us all by moving my studio inside from the garage was phenomenal. I could not have asked God for a better husband, father to my children or best friend.

I hope you had an excellent birthday honeys! I love you so much!
No comments:
Post a Comment