Love

Our job is to love others without stopping to inquire whether or not they are worthy.
That is not our business and, in fact, it is nobody's business.
What we are asked to do is to love, and this love itself will render both ourselves and our neighbors worthy if anything can.

Thomas Merton (1915 - 1968)

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Kelley's Trip to New York

I flew on two tiny little planes up to Syracuse on Friday.  Both were so small that I had to check my small suitcase at the gate because the overhead bins were barely large enough to hold handbags or jackets.  For the first, I even walked out on the jetway before climbing steps up to the plane.  I haven't been under a plane since high school when a classmate took me out flying in a little two seater.  FUN!
 

I loved seeing all the hills and little valleys as we flew over New York.  Some valleys were empty and others had lone houses in the middle to enjoy the beauty and solitude all to themselves.  I was a little envious until I reminded myself of the amount of snowfall these northerners get every winter.

There was a windmill farm close to Syracuse and it was easy to tell how very windy it was by how quickly I could see the arms turning on these big mills.

Apparently curling is not just popular in Canada, but also in Utica.  I used to tease my step-father to know end that sweeping really can not be considered a sport.
Marley was gorgeous.   She was a little slow to warm up and let me know with little love bites and swats when she had had enough attention.  But she did give me some good headbutts for more attention.

Autumn is definitely in Central New York.  The trees were turning everywhere we drove.

Lorelei's husband drove us all around on Saturday.  The first stop was to Fly Creek Cider Mill Orchard.  We saw the machines that make the cider.  These are powered by water from the lake just outside the building.

Fancy geese inhabited the lake and begged for food.

Afterwards, we drove into Cooperstown.  The heart of the city was lined with fun shops filled with handmade items, antiques and candy.  I loved all the old buildings.  And the alleys between the buildings, like this one.

 Joe was very excited to show off Doubleday Field.  I gathered Lorelei has seen this one too many times because she ducked into another little shop.

I loved that so many of the bleachers were under this covered area behind home plate and stretching out (almost!) to the first and third bases.  An adult game of baseball was in progress and the smack talking was mildly entertaining.  I was more intrigued by the bleachers ;)
 

Then we walked over to a Farmer's Market. There's Lorelei walking with her honeys.  Over the weekend, it was nice to see that Todd and I aren't the only ones who are always holding hands.

It will be another week or two before the leaves at home start turning such gorgeous shades of Autumn.

We walked over to Otasaga Lake and saw a few seagulls hovering over people tossing up food.  Lorelei kept her distance because apparently she has target signs on her shoulders.

I wanted to bottle up this red and bring it home with me to sit on my desk.

I don't remember the last time I saw such wonderfully crackled signs.

I want a front porch like this!  Doesn't she have a cozy porch?  If it hadn't been so darn cold (under 80 degrees.  okay, it was probably under 60 degrees, but that's basically the same as under 80 to me) I probably would have sat out there a ton.
 

Sunday afternoon/evening came too soon.  I would have loved to have stayed another day.  Or five.  I had such a wonderful visit with my friend.

And this is the sunset that followed me back to Atlanta as I flew home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails